In developing a sustainability strategy plan for your portfolio the blue print starts with determining the overall sustainability goals of the organization and identify initiatives are already in place to address sustainability.
A contributing factor to company’s overall corporate social responsibility strategy is for the CRE professional would be to bring the real estate perspective by:
- Evaluating the financial and environmental impact of capital investment decisions focused on resource consumption and carbon efficiency
- Outsourcing non-core services to ‘green, cleantech’ providers
- Streamlining and ‘greening’ departmental workflows
- Automating corrective and preventive maintenance schedules and alerts to maintain facilities at peak resource and energy efficiency
- Establishing carbon disclosure reports and creating sustainability scorecards
- Exploring the feasibility and benefits of alternative and renewable energy sources (solar, wind, geothermal, hydroelectric, Co-generation, etc.)
By achieving greater efficiency of business workflows and facility operations, carving out occupancy costs and implementing environmental sustainability measures not only makes good business sense but, it’s the right thing to do for the environment.
What do you think?